Serve this crowd-pleasing favourite and breeze through the summer entertaining season. It's fresh and dairy-free.
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cups caster sugar
- pinch fine salt
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 l unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- cooking oil spray
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 500 g fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ½ cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbsp sweet sherry
- honey, to garnish
- toasted flaked almonds, to garnish
- baby mint leaves
- edible flowers
- Sift flour, ¼ cup of the caster sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- Separate 2 of the eggs. Whisk whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. In another bowl, combine yolks, 500ml of the milk, olive oil and 1 tsp of the vanilla. Add to flour mixture and whisk until it forms a smooth batter. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Grease a waffle iron (we used the Smart Waffle by Breville) with cooking oil spray. Heat over a medium heat. Pour in ¼ of the batter, then cook for 3 minutes each side, or until golden and crisp. Keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Heat remaining milk in a medium saucepan over a medium heat, until simmering. In a large bowl, whisk remaining eggs, caster sugar, vanilla and cornflour until smooth. Gradually add hot milk, whisking constantly. Return to pan. Place over a low heat and simmer for 3–5 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened. Remove custard from heat.
- Toss strawberries, icing sugar and sherry in a medium bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to macerate.
- Serve waffles with strawberries and custard. Garnish with a drizzle of honey, toasted almonds, baby mint leaves and edible flowers.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||89.6 g|
|- Sugars||48.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.2 g|