Invented in a bar in Venice in the 1930s, the Bellini is one of the world's most famous cocktails. Made from a mixture of dry sparkling wine and fresh peaches, it's a wonderful way to enjoy summer, and is sublime reinvented as a luscious dessert.
- 750 g peaches
- 650 g caster sugar
- 500 ml sparkling wine
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 free-range egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways, seeds scraped
- 400 ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
- crushed amaretti biscuits
- fresh lemon balm
- Line the base and sides of a 2.5L terrine mould (or straight-sided loaf tin) with plastic wrap, allowing the long edges to overhang 10cm.
- Halve the peaches and remove stones. Combine 500g of the caster sugar with sparkling wine in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Reduce heat to low, add peaches and cook for 5 minutes or until just soft. Scoop peaches out of syrup and set aside to cool. Continue simmering the syrup for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Set aside to cool.
- Remove skin from peaches. Place peach halves in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Place eggs, yolks, vanilla seeds and remaining caster sugar in a medium heatproof bowl. Whisk well until smooth.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, ensuring base does not touch water. Whisk constantly for 5 minutes or until mixture is pale and thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and place bowl in an ice bath. Continue whisking until custard mixture has cooled to room temperature.
- Gently fold peach puree and whipped cream into custard mixture, until just combined. Do not over-mix. Fill prepared pan. Fold plastic overhang over semifreddo. Freeze for 4 hours, until firm.
- Turn out the semifreddo onto a platter. Top with amaretti biscuits, raspberries and lemon balm leaves. Slice and serve drizzled with reserved peach syrup.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||15.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||92.6 g|
|- Sugars||91.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.4 g|