This ultimate choc cake is a must for your Easter celebrations and can easily be turned into a choc-cherry cake with Cherry Ripe and a dash of red food colouring.
- 2 x 530 g chocolate cake mix
- 3 x 35 g Peppermint Crisp bars, roughly chopped
- 453 g tub creamy vanilla frosting
- green food colouring gel
- assorted chocolate Easter eggs, to decorate
- Preheat oven to moderate 180°C (160°C fan forced). Lightly grease the base and sides of 2 x 20cm cake pans. Prepare the mud cake mixes as directed, and pour cake mixture between the pans.
- Bake for 45-50 min or until cooked. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare both the frosting mixes and stir through half the chopped peppermint crisp bar. Using a sharp flat-bladed knife, level the cakes, reserving the trimmings for another recipe (see Kitchen notes below).
- Place the first cake, cut side up on a serving plate or cake stand. Spread with frosting mixture. Invert the second cake onto the frosting, placing cut side down.
- Using a palette knife, smooth around the edges of the cake to ensure sides are even.
- Tint the vanilla frosting green with colouring. Spread over the top and sides of the cake. Spreading evenly with a palette knife. Top cake with assorted Easter eggs and remaining Peppermint Crisp. Chill until required.
Cake can be baked and assembled the day before serving. Cover and chill until required.
Store leftover cake in an airtight container and use within 3 days.
Undecorated cake can be frozen for up to 4 weeks.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||77.8 g|
|- Sugars||55.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.7 g|