Abracadabra! Your party will be absolutely magical with this sensational hat-shaped wonder. There's no bunny inside, we promise.
- 100 g ready-to-roll black icing
- 4 x 440 g packets golden butter cake mix
- silver star sprinkles, to decorate
- thin red ribbon, to decorate
- playing cards, to decorate
- 400 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 3 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- ultra violet food colouring gel, to tint
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending 5cm above edges.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions. Spoon 1½ cake mixes into one pan and remaining 1½ cake mixes into remaining pan. Smooth over tops. Reserve icing sachets for another use.
- Cook both cakes in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 20 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand for 30 minutes. Turn out cakes onto wire racks to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar, ½ cup at a time, until smooth.
- Trim top of cakes to sit flat. Place one cake onto a cake board. Spread top with ½ cup frosting. Invert remaining cake and place on top. Spread remaining frosting over top and side of cake.
- Knead 100g of the white icing on a clean bench until smooth. Divide in half. Roll each into a 70cm rope-shape. Position one around the base and the other around the top of cake. Trim sour straps and arrange around side of cake as pictured.
- Knead remaining white icing on a clean bench until smooth. Roll out between two sheets baking paper until 5mm thick. Cut out an 8 ½ cm circle using a pastry cutter. Cut out a 7cm wide x 10cm long rectangle. Cut corners off the rectangle. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Knead red icing on a clean bench until smooth. Roll between two sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Using 2 ½ cm letter cutters, cut out letters, as pictured. Place onto icing circle and rectangle.
- Arrange icing circle on side of cake. Decorate cake with popcorn. Place icing rectangle on popcorn.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||11.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||60.1 g|
|- Sugars||47.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.0 g|