Chocolate cake three ways – follow the linked recipes for ingenius ways to make more with one idea! It's chocolate heaven
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- 225 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 25 g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp boiling water
- 300 ml tub thickened cream, whipped, to serve
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
- To make batter, whisk cocoa into water in a bowl until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
- In two batches, fold in combined sifted flour, baking powder and soda with milk and cocoa mixture until combined. Divide evenly between pans. Smooth tops.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 40 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand cakes in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To make frosting, sift sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add butter. Stir in enough water to give a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Serve cakes sandwiched together with whipped cream. Spread top with frosting
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||18.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||61.1 g|
|- Sugars||42.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.5 g|