There are at least three ways you can enjoy this popular creamy chicken dish, try it as Tuscan chicken (spooned into vol-au-vents) or wrapped in tortillas and baked for a fabulous burrito option.
- 1 kg chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 600 ml thickened cream
- ¾ cup chopped mixed herbs (such as sliced green spring onions, lemon thyme and chives)
- seasonal vegetables, to serve (optional)
- cooked linguine, to serve (optional)
- Trim excess fat from the chicken breasts and cut into thin pieces (about 2-3mm thick). Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place a large fry pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and 1/3 of the chicken strips. Cook for 4-5 minutes, tossing until the chicken is golden-brown and cooked through. Set aside and repeat with remaining chicken, cooking in two more batches.
- Add the thickened cream to the pan with most of the herbs and stir. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Return the chicken and juices to the sauce, simmering for a further 2 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining herbs and serve direct from the pan. Accompany with steamed seasonal vegetables or cooked linguine.
Tuscan chicken: Add 3/4 cup chopped, roasted red peppers to the fry pan with the cooked chicken and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Stir through 2 cups baby spinach leaves and allow to wilt. Serve over pasta or with cooked rice. Garnish with pitted olives if desired.
Chicken burritos: Season chicken with a 40g sachet of Fajita mix as directed, adding 200g sliced button mushrooms to the pan with the cream. Increase cooking time to 5-6 minutes. Serve with a 240g packet of heated wholegrain tortillas, smashed avocado and grated cheese.
Creamy chicken vol-au-vents: Whilst preparing the chicken as described, heat 6 medium-sized, unfilled vol-au-vents as directed. Transfer vol-au-vents to serving plates and divide the chicken mixture between cases. Top with extra herbs and serve with a side salad.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||44.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||7.5 g|
|- Sugars||4.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.0 g|