This fuss-free tuna mornay is super speedy and guarantees dinner on the table in under 20 minutes. Add some vegetables, some salad or simply spoon it into some mushrooms and bake for a tasty stuffed mushroom version.
- 250 g spelt spiral pasta
- 490 g jar bechamel sauce
- 3 x 95 g cans oven-dried tomato & basil tuna
- finely grated tasty cheese, to serve (optional)
- basil, to garnish (optional)
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add spelt pasta and cook for 12 minutes or until tender. Reserve 1/3 cup cooking liquid, then drain the pasta well and return to the saucepan.
- Place saucepan back over a medium heat. Add the bechamel sauce, along with the reserved cooking liquid. Heat, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until well heated.
- Add the undrained cans of tuna and mix gently to combine. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Scatter with grated cheese and garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.
Try this with any flavoured tuna you like, and it’s equally as good with a can of drained salmon or sardines.
Tuna crepes: Preheat oven to 180°C. Spoon tuna mixture along 8 ready-made crepes and roll them up. Place seam-side down on a lined baking tray. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup grated cheese and place in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden-brown. Serve with mixed salad leaves.
Zucchini, cheese & tuna bake: Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare tuna mornay. Stir through 425g can of corn kernels and transfer to a greased 3L baking dish. Finely slice 1 zucchini and arrange over the top of the pasta. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup grated cheese and place in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden-brown. Serve with a side salad.
Stuffed mushrooms: Preheat oven to 180°C. Clean 8 large field mushrooms and trim the stems. Place onto a baking tray. Heat a fry pan over a medium-low heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs with 1 clove crushed garlic. Stir until crisp and golden brown. Remove from the heat. Spoon the tuna mornay into the mushrooms and sprinkle with crispy crumbs. Place into preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until well heated and mushrooms are tender. Serve garnished with chopped fresh herbs.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||11.0 g|
|- Sugars||5.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.2 g|