Jars have been upgraded from simple storage containers to stylish serving tools – don't you just love the look?!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture, plus extra to serve
- 125 g cream cheese, chilled, chopped
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 Tbsp iced water
- 600 g cherries, pitted, plus extra to serve
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- aerosol whipped cream, to serve
- mint leaves, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanforced (200ºC conventional). Combine flour and 2 Tbsp of the icing sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times. Add cream cheese and pulse until crumbly. Add yolk, vanilla and iced water, then pulse until a dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, then chill for 1 hour.
- Combine cherries, cornflour, cinnamon, pepper and remaining icing sugar in a medium bowl, then toss to coat thoroughly. Mix in rum.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured board to 3mm thick. Use a round cookie cutter to cut 8 discs the size of jar opening. Press a disc into the base of four 375ml capacity oven-proof mason jars. Top with cherry mixture.
- Use a fork to decoratively crimp remaining 4 pastry discs, then arrange in jars on top of cherry layer.
- Brush pastry tops with beaten egg, then bake for 20-22 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is bubbling up onto it.
- Dust with extra icing sugar, dollop with whipped cream and garnish with mint and extra cherries.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||6.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||83.1 g|
|- Sugars||52.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.2 g|