A perfect element to your next tasty Mediterraean feast – the mezze party begins. Light, flavoursome and easy.
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground white pepper
- 125 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- ½ bunch oregano, finely chopped
- finely grated zest 2 lemons
- 4 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- extra virgin olive oil, for shallow frying
- lemon cut into wedges, to serve
- Combine flour and butter in a medium saucepan over a moderate heat and cook for 2 minutes, until bubbling. Whisk in milk and nutmeg, then simmer until thickened. Season, then fold in feta. Set aside to cool.
- Beat cheese mixture lightly, then fold in herbs and lemon zest. Cut nine 8cm discs from each sheet of pastry to make 36, then brush one side of each with egg. Spoon filling into the centre of 18 discs (about 1 Tbsp), sandwich together with remaining pastry discs, then crimp edges to seal.
- Shallow fry in batches in extra virgin olive oil for 1-2 minutes each side until deep-golden. Drain on kitchen paper, then serve warm with lemon wedges.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||21.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||48.8 g|
|- Sugars||4.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.8 g|