A meatloaf is a great way to impress the family. This one's topped with tomato for a zingy finish. Try it for dinner for a budget-friendly option!
- 1 medium brushed potato, peeled, cut into 2 cm slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 750 g beef mince
- 1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
- ⅔ cup drained, pitted olives
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 small Roma tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
- Grease a large loaf pan (14cm x 24cm). Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 4cm above pan edges.
- Place potato in a microwave-proof dish with 1 tblsp water. Cover with damp absorbent kitchenpaper. Microwave on High (100 per cent) for about 3 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Heat an oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add potato, onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add paprika. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool.
- Add beef, breadcrumbs, olives, egg, 2 tblsps of the sauce and half the mustard to potato mixture. Season. Mix well. Press firmly into prepared pan. Spread top with remaining sauce and mustard. Place tomatoes in a single layer over top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 1 hour, or until cooked through. Remove. Stand in pan for 20 minutes before serving
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||18.8 g|
|- Sugars||6.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.4 g|