Take shepherd's pie to the next level with a spicy Indian twist
- 1 kg lamb mince
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup vindaloo curry paste
- 400 g canned chopped Italian tomatoes
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 kg brushed potatoes, peeled, cut into 4cm pieces
- ½ cup hot milk
- 75 g butter, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly grease a large, deep, rectangular ovenproof dish (14-cup capacity).
- To make topping, place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to boil. Boil, uncovered, for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Return potatoes to pan. Cook, stirring over a low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash until smooth. Stir in milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat an oiled, large, deep frying pan over a high heat. Add lamb in two batches. Cook, stirring to break up mince for about 3 minutes, or until browned. Remove.
- Add onions to the same hot pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add eggplant and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Stir in paste.
- Return lamb to pan with tomatoes, sauce and water. Bring to boil. Cover with lid. Gently boil, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Spoon topping over lamb mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Place dish on an oven tray.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown. Remove. Stand for 15 minutes before serving
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||21.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||19.7 g|
|- Sugars||6.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.8 g|