Autumn arvos are for gathering and feasting, and here's one of the best meals for you to do just that!
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1.5 l salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 l hot water
- 1 smoked ham hock joint
- 10 sprigs thyme
- sea salt flakes and black pepper to season
- 250 g butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, chopped into 3cm chunks
- 4 carrots, sliced into 2cm thick rounds
- 4 celery sticks, sliced into 2cm thick pieces
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes with herbs
- ⅓ cup parsley leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped
- 60 g baby spinach leaves
- finely grated fresh lemon zest, plus lemon wedges to serve
- Heat oil in a large heavybased saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Pour in chicken stock and hot water and bring to a simmer.
- Add ham hock and thyme. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour.
- Taste and season. Add pumpkin, carrot, celery, canned tomatoes, parsley and bay leaves. Return to a simmer and cook for a further 30 minutes until pumpkin is very soft and falling apart.
- Remove ham hock. Add zucchini and spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes or until zucchini is just tender. Taste again and season. Top with extra parsley and a sprinkle of zest. Serve with lemon wedges and scones for dipping.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||17.5 g|
|- Sugars||5.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.8 g|