The best meals are made and served with love – lots of it! Gnocchi is the answer to your comfort-food cravings.
- 400 g ricotta cheese
- 3 x 400 g canned cherry tomatoes in natural juice
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup basil sprigs
- sea salt flakes and pepper to season
- 60 g Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ cup plain flour, plus extra to dust
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- mixed green salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanforced (200°C conventional). Put ricotta in a sieve over a bowl for 10 minutes or until excess liquid has drained away. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, put 2 cans of the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, vinegar, basil and a generous amount of salt and pepper into a large roasting dish about 35 x 25cm.
- Stir to combine and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Set aside. Increase oven to 200°C fan-forced (220°C conventional).
- Meanwhile, to make gnocchi, add parmesan, egg and nutmeg to ricotta. Season. Stir until combined.
- Sift in flour and gently stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes together to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough into three portions. Put one portion onto a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a log about 2cm thick. Using a sharp knife, cut log into 2cm-long pieces. Set aside on a tray. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, drop half of the gnocchi into the water one by one. Stir gently. Cook for about 2 minutes or until gnocchi rises to the surface, then cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove gnocchi from the water and spoon on top of baked tomato mixture. Repeat with remaining gnocchi.
- Scatter remaining cherry tomatoes over the top, followed by mozzarella. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Garnish with extra basil and serve with herb toasts and salad.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||20.1 g|
|- Sugars||7.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.9 g|