Carrot cake is made even better with walnut praline and, of course, dollops of deliciously creamy cream cheese.
- 4 free-range eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups grated carrot
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 375 g cream cheese, chopped, room temperature
- 75 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 3 cups icing sugar mixture
- Grease two 22cm round cake pans. Line the bases and sides with baking paper.
- Beat eggs, sugar and oil in a large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk attachment for about 5 minutes, or until thick and pale. Fold in combined sifted flour, bicarb soda and cinnamon. Stir in walnuts, then carrot. Divide between pans. Smooth tops.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 30 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove from oven. Stand in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To make praline, place walnuts on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 6 minutes, or until toasted. Remove.
- Place sugar and 1/3 cup of water in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Boil, without stirring, for about 8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Immediately pour over the walnuts on tray. Stand at room temperature until set. Break into large shards. Place in a large snap-lock bag. Seal. Place a tea towel on snap-lock bag. Using a rolling pin, gently pound until coarsely crushed.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in same, clean bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth and thick.
- Sandwich cakes together with ½ cup of the frosting. Spread remaining frosting over top and side of cake. Press crushed praline around the side
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||11.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||68.3 g|
|- Sugars||56.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.5 g|