Be inspired – this is the perfect wedding favour for your guests to take home and enjoy.
- 500 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup pure icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 free-range eggs, room temperature
- 6 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 x 1 kg packets ready-to-roll white icing
- ¼ cup liquid glucose
- pink food colouring
- rose spirit liquid (see tips)
- art paintbrush, to decorate
- edible gold stars, to decorate
- Grease and line four large oven trays with baking paper.
- To make dough, place half of each the butter, sugar and paste in a food processor. Process, scraping down side of bowl, until combined. Add one of the eggs. Process until combined. Add half the flour and half the baking powder. Pulse to form a soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured bench. Knead until smooth. Divide in half. Shape into discs. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, repeat with remaining ingredients to make another two discs.
- One at a time, roll out each disc between two sheets of baking paper to about ½cm thickness. Using an 8cm heart-shaped cutter, cut out shapes, re-rolling dough until it is used. Place 2cm apart, on prepared oven trays.
- Cook two trays at a time, in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 15 minutes, or until light golden. Remove. Cool biscuits on trays completely.
- To decorate, knead a quarter of the icing on a clean bench until smooth. Roll out icing between two sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Heat the glucose until runny.
- Working with one biscuit at a time, brush top lightly with glucose. Using same heartshaped cutter, cut out a heart of icing. Lift and press onto biscuit. Repeat with remaining biscuits, glucose and icing.
- Add a few drops of pink colouring to 1 tblsp rose spirit liquid in a small bowl. One at a time, brush onto icing using paint brush. Decorate with stars. Stand at room temperature until colouring is dry and icing is firm.
- To give as a gift, place each biscuit in a small cellophane bag. Tie with ribbon.
Rose spirit liquid is available from cake decorating stores. As the spirit liquid evaporates quickly, add extra to bowl of colouring as required. You can replace the spirit with vodka.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||10.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||102.3 g|
|- Sugars||77.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.8 g|