An elegant, yet simple, fillet of beef that's perfect for a summer lunch or your Christmas spread.
- 2 trimmed pieces beef eye fillet (800 g)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh tarragon
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 packet mixed salad leaves to garnish
- 2 tubs creme fraiche (200 ml)
- ¼ cup horseradish cream
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Place a large non-stick roasting pan in a hot oven (200C) to heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tie unwaxed kitchen string firmly down the length of both pieces of beef at 3cm intervals to secure beef into a roll shape. Brush with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add beef to hot pan. Return pan to same hot oven. Cook for 30 minutes for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer beef to a large plate. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 30 minutes to allow steam to escape. Cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate for about 4 hours, or until cold.
- Meanwhile, to make horseradish cream, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- To serve, remove string from cold beef. Combine honey and mustard in a small bowl. Spread evenly over beef.
- Combine herbs on a large tray. Roll beef in herbs to coat evenly. Cut into 1cm-thick slices. Arrange on a serving platter. Garnish with salad leaves. Serve with horseradish cream.
Horseradish Cream can be made and beef prepared to the end of Step 3 up to one day ahead. Roll beef in herbs up to two hours in advance. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||7.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||6.0 g|
|- Sugars||5.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.0 g|