Why go store bought when you can easily make your own, much healthier, chicken nuggets at home?
- 1 zucchini
- 500 g chicken mince
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tsp water
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs (45 g)
- ½ cup plain flour (80 g)
- 1- 2 cups vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
Sweet & sour sauce
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice (80 ml)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ cup tomato sauce (125 ml)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Grate zucchini. Squeeze out excess moisture. Combine with chicken in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Shape 2 tablespoons mixture into nuggets, 4cm in length.
- Combine eggs and water in a bowl. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Dust nuggets with flour. Shake off excess. Dip, one at a time, into egg mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat enough oil in a large, deep frying pan to come 1cm up the side of the pan, over medium to high heat. Add nuggets in two batches. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, make sweet and sour sauce. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve nuggets with warm sweet and sour sauce.
For a healthier version, cook nuggets on an oven tray lined with baking paper in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
Panko breadcrumbs are a flaky breadcrumb and available from your local supermarket. They can be replaced with dried breadcrumbs.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||21.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||33.3 g|
|- Sugars||9.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.6 g|