Use up over-ripe bananas to create this wonderful cake.
- 175 g unsalted butter at room temperature, chopped
- ¾ cup caster sugar (165 g)
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups self-raising flour (320 g)
- 4 small ripe mashed banana (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp fresh passionfruit pulp
- 200 ml tub bulla creme fraiche
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture (160 g)
- 1 tbsp fresh passionfruit pulp
- 2 tsp water
- Grease a 22cm round baba cake pan. Sprinkle with flour, shake away excess.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating between additions until combined.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add sifted flour with banana, passionfruit and creme fraiche in two batches, stirring gently to combine. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make icing, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle icing over cake. Stand at room temperature until set.
Over-ripe bananas are the best for cooking. Their skin should be almost black with very soft flesh.
Buy these bananas when they're on special and freeze in their ski for up to two months. If you're in a hurry to thaw them quickly, microwave frozen bananas in their skin until softened.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||16.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||78.5 g|
|- Sugars||46.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.7 g|