Fruit 'n' spice makes for a nice slice... of cake! It's berry satisfying, too.
- cooking spray
- 160 g (1 cup) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 75 g (½ cup) self-raising flour
- 110 g (½ cup) CSR LoGiCane Low GI Cane Sugar, or granulated sugar substitute
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 40 g light margarine, melted, cooled
- 200 ml skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g punnet strawberries, hulled, finely chopped
- 2 tsp CSR LoGiCane Low Gi Soft Icing Mixture (optional)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries halved, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C (fan-forced). Spray a 20cm (base measurement) cake tin with cooking spray. Line with baking paper.
- Put flours, sugar and 1½ tsp of the cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Put egg, margarine, milk and vanilla in a separate bowl. Whisk to combine. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in berries.
- Spoon batter into prepared tin and smooth surface. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside to cool in tin for 10 minutes, then transfer cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine icing sugar and remaining cinnamon and dust over cake. Top with extra berries, if you like, slice and serve.
PER SERVE (with sugar)
565kJ, protein 3.7g, total fat 2.4g (sat. fat 0.6g), carbs 23g, fibre 2.3g, sodium 159mg.
Carb exchanges 1½.
GI estimate medium.
PER SERVE (with sugar substitute) 426kJ, protein 3.7g, total fat 2.4g (sat. fat 0.6g), carbs 15g, fibre 2.3g, sodium 159mg. Carb exchanges 1. GI estimate medium.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||26.4 g|
|- Sugars||12.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.4 g|