This nutty fudge makes wonderful gifts – just make sure to keep some for yourself.
- 180 g unsalted butter, chopped plus extra for greasing
- 395 g can sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 cups caster sugar
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- Sugar thermometer
- Electric mixer with guard
- Grease two 25 x 7.5 x 4.5cm bar tins with melted butter and line with baking paper.
- Put butter, condensed milk, milk, sugar, syrup and vanilla in a large saucepan and stir over a medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to the boil. Stir for a further 15 minutes or until mixture thickens and reaches 115°C on a sugar thermometer. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to the large bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment – be careful as the mixture is very hot. Place the guard on the mixer, then start on beating on the lowest speed and gradually increase as the mixture thickens. Beat for 7 minutes or until the mixture starts to become crumbly.
- Turn off the mixture and stir in walnuts. Spoon into prepared tins, cool, then cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into 1cm-thick slices.
This walnut fudge makes a wonderful edible gift. It will keep in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 2 weeks.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||22.0 g|
|- Sugars||21.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.2 g|