This one is anything but ordinary. The spinach pesto adds a little something special to the mix you'll love.
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 swede, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 6 sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3 litres water
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, diced
- Extra ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 50 g baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 20 g parmesan, finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- ¼ clove garlic, crushed
- Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Put carrot, swede, parsnip, celery, onion, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, garlic, peppercorns and water in a large heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently uncovered for 2 hours.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add chicken and cook for 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in extra parsley.
- Meanwhile, to make spinach pesto, put baby spinach leaves, basil, parmesan, oil, water and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and process until a chunky sauce forms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken and vegetable soup dolloped with spinach pesto.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||13.3 g|
|- Sugars||7.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.9 g|