This berry-spiked trifle will be a hit on your Christmas dessert table
- 300 g frozen mixed berries
- 160 g caster sugar
- 500 ml clear apple juice
- 2 Tbsp strawberry jam
- 9 sheets gold-strength gelatine
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 Tbsp cornflour
- Extra 150 g caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 680 ml full-cream milk
- 450 ml pure cream
- Extra 6 Tbsp strawberry jam
- 50 ml water
- 2 large store-bought Swiss rolls, thinly sliced
- 2 x 250 g punnets strawberries, hulled
- 120 ml dry sherry
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar mixture
- 50 g flaked almonds, toasted, to serve
- Put berries, sugar, apple juice and jam in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to the boil. Simmer for 4 minutes. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put gelatine sheets in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Stand for 5 minutes or until softened. Strain and gently press all juices from fruit (you should have about 700ml of liquid). Squeeze water from gelatine, then add to hot strained berry liquid.
- Line a 27 x 18 slice tin or shallow plastic container with plastic wrap. Pour ½ of the liquid into base of a large trifle bowl. Pour remaining liquid into prepared tin. Refrigerate both trifle bowl and tray with jelly for at least 6 hours or until jelly is set.
- Using a sharp knife, split vanilla bean through centre and scrape out seeds. Put seeds in a large bowl, then add cornflour and extra sugar. Add egg yolks and whisk until combined. Put milk, cream and vanilla bean in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove vanilla bean, then pour hot liquid into egg mixture, a little at a time, whisking after each addition. Return mixture to saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Transfer custard to a large bowl set over a large bowl of iced water, stirring occasionally, until cooled.
- Put extra strawberry jam and water in a small bowl. Stir until jam has thinned slightly. Spread jam on 1 side of each slice of Swiss roll. Turn out jelly from tray, then chop into large pieces.
- Arrange Swiss roll slices, jam-side down, over jelly in base of trifle bowl and around edges of bowl, jam-side facing out. Slice ½ the strawberries into rounds and add to trifle, with a few around side of bowl. Drizzle over dry sherry, then pour over cooled custard. Add chopped jelly around outer edges of bowl. Return trifle bowl to fridge for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight if time permits, to allow flavours to develop.
- Put thickened cream and icing sugar in a large bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Spoon cream on top of trifle. Slice remaining strawberries and scatter over cream. Sprinkle over toasted almonds to serve.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||22.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||98.6 g|
|- Sugars||80.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.5 g|