This simple Asian soup with beef, noodles and vegies is a great starter for lighter meals.
- 350 g budget rump, fat trimmed
- 3 L prepared chicken stock
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon julienned ginger
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 250 g dried thin noodles
- 2 bunches baby choy sum, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths
- Heat a chargrill pan over high heat. Lightly spray the beef with olive oil and season all over with salt and pepper. Cook steaks for 2 min each side for medium rare or until cooked to your liking. Remove, rest for 5 min then thinly slice.
- Place the chicken stock, star anise, julienned ginger, red chilli, cooking wine and light soy sauce into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium- low and simmer for 8 min.
- Meanwhile, cook the dried noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet directions. Drain and refresh under cool water and divide between serving bowls.
- Add baby choy sum to the soup and cook for a further 1-2 min or until just tender. Ladle the soup over noodles and top with sliced beef. Garnish with garlic chives, a drizzle of sesame oil and season with ground black pepper if desired.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||31.2 g|
|- Sugars||1.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.6 g|