This recipe takes a different approach to the traditional Christmas pudding with a fresh pear infusion
- 2 cups sultanas (300 g)
- 1 ½ cups currants (225 g)
- 1 cup finely chopped (170 g) glace pear
- 100 g packet red glace cherries, finely chopped
- ½ cup brandy
- 250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 cup raw caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp ginger marmalade
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- Combine all fruit and brandy in an extra-large bowl. Stand, covered, overnight.
- Grease a 22cm round x 7cm deep cake pan. Line base and side with three layers of brown paper, then three layers of baking paper, both extending 5cm above pan edge.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Stir into fruit mixture with marmalade.
- Sift over combined flours. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top. Wrap three layers of newspaper around the outside of pan, securing with string.
- Cook in a slow oven (150C) for about 3 hours and 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil during cooking if top starts to over-brown. Remove. Leave cake in pan and wrap in a clean tea towel until completely cool.
- Serve topped with Christmas decorations.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||6.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||50.6 g|
|- Sugars||37.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.0 g|