Mocha flavoured dipping sauce with cinnamon churros are an easy to share dessert option - or do as the Spaniards do and treat yourself at breakfast!
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 litres vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup milk
- 75 g unsalted butter, chopped
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 ¾ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Coffee Fudge Dipping Sauce
- 200 g dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
- 300 ml carton thickened cream
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- To make sauce, place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Combine cream and coffee in a medium saucepan. Stir over a high heat until mixture is hot. Pour over chocolate. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- To make churros, stir milk, butter and sugar in a large saucepan over a medium heat until butter is melted. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in combined sifted flour and baking powder until combined. Return to a medium heat. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes, or until dough forms a sticky ball. Transfer to a large bowl of an electric mixer. Cool for 10 minutes.
- With motor operating, beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and cinnamon on a large plate.
- Heat enough oil in a large stockpot over a medium to high heat until oil reaches 175C on a deep-fry thermometer. Carefully pipe four 10cm lengths of mixture into hot oil, cutting mixture from bag with a small knife. Deep-fry for about 2 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Toss gently in cinnamon sugar. Repeat with remaining mixture to make about 24 churros.
- Serve warm with coffee fudge dipping sauce.
Churros are best served fresh. To reheat, place on a wire rack in a hot oven (200C) for about 5 minutes, or until hot.Try adding 1 tablespoon coffee-flavoured liqueur to the sauce.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||488.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||551.8 g|
|- Sugars||345.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||24.9 g|