The coffee flavoured Italian dessert that will go down a treat
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1 cup warm water
- ⅓ cup coffee liqueur
- 250 g packet sponge finger biscuits
- Dark chocolate shavings, for decorating
- 2 eggs, separated
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 250 g tub mascarpone cheese
- 300 ml tub thickened cream
- Dissolve coffee in water in a heatproof jug. Stir in liqueur. Transfer to a shallow dish.
- To make mascarpone cream, beat yolks with 1/3 cup of the sugar in the small bowl of an electric mixer for about 2 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Add mascarpone cheese and cream. Beat until just combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Beat egg whites in same clean small bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until mixture is smooth and glossy. Fold egg whites into mascarpone mixture in two batches.
- Spoon 11/2 cups mascarpone cream into a shallow rectangular dish (10-cup capacity). Dip half the biscuits, one at a time, into coffee mixture, turning biscuits to coat evenly. Arrange over mascarpone cream in dish, side-by-side, and trimming to fit.
- Repeat layering with remaining biscuits, coffee mixture and mascarpone cream, finishing with a layer of mascarpone cream. Cover dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve tiramisu decorated with chocolate.
Don’t over-soak the biscuits or they will become too soggy. Tiramisu can be made up to two days ahead. Keep, covered, in the fridge. If you want to omit the liqueur, add ¼ cup water with 2 teaspoons coffee essence.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||42.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||82.3 g|
|- Sugars||36.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.6 g|