Apple and blueberry cinnamon-spiced muffins with oats are a yummy lunchbox eat or a much appreciate contribution to teatime gatherings
- 1 large Granny Smith apple (200 g)
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ¾ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup tick-approved salt-reduced margarine, melted, cooled
- Extra 1 tbsp rolled oats
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Peel and coarsely grate apple, you will need 1 cup.
- Sift flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Return husks to bowl. Stir in oats and sugar. Gently stir in frozen blueberries and apple.
- Whisk egg, buttermilk and margarine in a jug until combined. Stir into flour mixture until just combined. (Don’t over-mix). Spoon about 1/3-cup batter into each case. Sprinkle with extra oats.
- Cook in moderately hot oven (190C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Don’t over-mix muffin batter or they will become tough once cooked. Muffins can be made up to three days ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||17.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||320.0 g|
|- Sugars||118.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||23.2 g|