A comforting family classic, this homemade beef pie is a favourite at the dinner table.
- 1 kg beef shin, trimmed of excess fat and cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- A small bunch of thyme, picked
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 500 ml red wine
- 4 tbsp flour, seasoned
- oil for frying
- 8 shallots, halved
- 300 g puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
- Put the beef, garlic, thyme, peppercorns and wine into a bowl. Cover and marinate for 2-3 hours (or overnight). Take out the beef, pat dry and toss in the flour. Strain the marinade and keep the liquid.
- Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C. Heat some oil in a large casserole and brown the beef, all over, in batches (you want it to colour, not stew in its own juices). Remove with a slotted spoon, then brown the shallots. Return the beef and the marinade to the casserole. Cover tightly and cook in the oven for 3 hours or until tender. Cool a little.
- Turn up the oven to 200C/fan 180C. Roll the pastry to the thickness of a $2 coin coin.
- Tip the beef filling into a pie dish, brush a little egg around the rim and top the pie with the pastry. Trim the edge with a sharp knife then crimp, and brush more egg over the top. Cook for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||55.1 g|
|- Sugars||7.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.3 g|