If you love sushi but have never made it, try this easy salad version first. Make it with pickled red cabbage, sesame chicken, soya beans and sushi rice.
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- ¼ small red cabbage, shredded
- chicken stock
- 1 large skinless chicken breast fillet
- 100 g sushi rice
- 100 g soya beans, blanched and cooled
- sesame oil
- black sesame seeds or white sesame seeds, toasted for sprinkling (optional)
- Heat the vinegar and sugar in a small pan until the sugar melts. Keep 3 tbsp of the vinegar and sugar mix back, then put the carrot and cabbage in separate bowls and divide the rest of the vinegar mix between them. Toss in the mix and leave until you are ready to serve.
- Heat a small pan with enough chicken stock to cover the chicken breast. When it simmers, add the chicken and cook it gently for 10-12 minutes or until it is cooked through, then cool and slice the chicken.
- Wash the sushi rice in water, then drain and repeat a couple of times to get rid of some starch. Put it in a pan with 150ml water. Bring to the boil, then cover and lower the heat. Cook for 12-15 minutes until the water is absorbed, then tip it onto a plate to cool. Sprinkle over the reserved vinegar mix.
- Arrange the rice on plates with the pickled veg and beans. Add the chicken and sprinkle over a few drops of sesame oil and some sesame seeds.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||68.5 g|
|- Sugars||26.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.9 g|