Employ some clever tricks to achieve a dairy-free bake - egg-free mayonnaise, almond milk and margarine fit the bill.
- 240 g self-raising flour
- 140 g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 240 g egg-free mayonnaise
- 2 large or 3 small ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25 g vegan dark chocolate chips
For the icing
- 80 g dairy-free margarine
- 250 g icing sugar
- 25 ml vegan milk (we used almond milk)
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan. Line muffin tins with 16 cases. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, ½ tsp salt and bicarbonate of soda. In a second bowl or a jug, mix the mayonnaise, mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spoon until just combined (don’t overmix or your cupcakes will be heavy). Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20 mins.
- When the cupcakes come out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips over – they will melt and then harden again, so don’t touch them.
- For the icing, combine the vegan margarine and icing sugar in an electric mixer, then add the vegan milk and continue to mix on a slow speed until completely combined. Turn the mixer up and combine for a further 3 mins. Finally, stir in the peanut butter. Pipe or simply spread the icing on top of the cakes. Store in an airtight container and eat within 2 days.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||40.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||621.6 g|
|- Sugars||425.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||14.6 g|