With extra toppings to choose from, even the fussiest eaters will be happy with this tomato pasta. Get the kids involved and all dinner plates will be cleared!
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 splash red wine vinegar
- 2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400 g pasta (we used fusilli)
- 20 g Parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra to serve
- 100 g canned tuna (optional)
- 100 g shredded leg ham (optional)
- 100 g shredded cooked chicken, (optional)
- 1 jar pesto (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the red capsicum and sweet potato, and cook for 5-10 mins until they start to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Add the red wine vinegar, sizzle for a moment, then add the chopped tomatoes and season. Cover and simmer for 30 mins until the sweet potato is really soft, adding a splash of water if it starts to look dry. Tip the sauce into a blender (or use a hand blender) and whizz until smooth. Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Cook the pasta following pack instructions and reheat the sauce gently in a saucepan. Once the pasta is cooked, drain well and toss with the sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Serve the pasta in a big bowl for everyone to help themselves, with extra toppings to choose from to keep fussy eaters happy.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||57.1 g|
|- Sugars||7.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.8 g|