Give chicken salad a Caribbean twist with jerk spice, creamy avocado and exotic papaya.
- 3- 4 (depending on size) red witlof
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, all visible fat removed
- 3 tsp canola oil
- 1 lime, juice of ½, the rest cut into 2 wedges
- 1 tsp jerk spice mix or Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp fresh oregano
- 2 tsp cranberry jam
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 papaya, halved, deseeded, peeled and chopped
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled and chopped
- chat potatoes, to serve (optional)
- Witlof is made up of leaves attached to quite a solid base, so feel where the leaves start and slice them off. Thickly slice the base and set aside.
- Open out the chicken thighs and put them in a bowl with 1 tsp of the oil, the lime juice, jerk seasoning and oregano. Stir well, then grill the chicken for 10 mins, turning once. Take off the grill, cover with a plate and leave to rest while you quickly grill the witlof slices.
- Meanwhile, put the cranberry jam, vinegar and remaining oil in a big bowl and mix well. Add the papaya and avocado, then the witlof leaves, but don’t mix yet. Chop the chicken, add to the salad with the grilled witlof, then toss well. Pile on plates, squeeze over the remaining lime and serve while still warm, with chat potatoes, if you like.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||19.2 g|
|- Sugars||12.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||11.3 g|