Use a ‘thumb-sized’ red chilli for this spicy tomato chilli jam. Try a dollop in a sandwich, stir-fry or with seared fish and grilled steaks. A kitchen basic.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 5 red chillies, deseeded
- 5 cm piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 300 g soft light brown sugar
- 150 ml cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- slices of toasted baguette and manchego cheese or goats cheese, to serve
- Put the garlic, chilli and ginger in a food processor and pulse until blended. Add the tomatoes and pulse until finely chopped. Pour into a saucepan and add the sugar, cider vinegar and the spices. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook for 45 mins or until thick and syrupy. Pour into sterilised jars with fitted lids. Will keep chilled for 1 month.
- Serve the chilli jam with toasted baguette slices and a sharp firm cheese like Manchego or goat’s cheese.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||168.3 g|
|- Sugars||156.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.0 g|