This Italian take on ice-cream cake is sure to bring smiles to the table.
- 450 g packet rectangular unfilled double sponge cake (14cm x 20cm)
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup coffee-flavoured liqueur
- Cocoa powder and quartered strawberries, to decorate
- Whipped cream, to serve
- 200 g block dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- 250 g cream cheese, chopped at room temperature
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 300 ml tub thickened cream, whipped
- 220 g block roast almond milk chocolate, finely chopped
- Cut each sponge horizontally in half. Place one layer on a chopping board. Turn a 19cm round pudding steamer (8-cup capacity) upside down on top of sponge. Cut around steamer. Set aside circle, reserving scraps.
- Grease and line steamer with two layers of plastic wrap overlapping, in a criss-cross pattern, overhanging by 8cm.
- Use a 10cm round cutter to cut out a circle from another sponge layer. Cut 12 rectangles (4cm x 11cm) from remaining sponge layers. Place water and liqueur in a shallow dish.
- Dip 10cm circle in liqueur mixture until just soaked. Place in base of steamer. Repeat process, dipping rectangles one at a time, and placing them slightly overlapping around side of steamer. Reserve remaining liqueur mixture.
- To make filling, stir dark chocolate in a large heatproof bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water until melted. Remove bowl. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat cheese and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. On a low speed, beat in melted chocolate until smooth. Fold in whipped cream, then almond chocolate. Spoon into steamer. Smooth over top.
- Dip 19cm sponge circle in reserved liqueur mixture. Place on top of filling, using scraps to fill in gaps. Bring side of plastic wrap over top to seal. Refrigerate overnight, or until set.
- Turn out zuccotto onto a serving plate. Decorate with sifted cocoa and strawberries. Serve with whipped cream.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||22.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||60.0 g|
|- Sugars||46.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.9 g|