100 ml extra virgin olive oil
3 red onions, finely sliced
3 white onions, finely sliced
2 tsp dried oregano
sea salt flakes to season
375 g frozen puff pastry sheets
20 anchovy fillets
1 lemon, halved
Green olive tapenade
175 g pitted olives, chopped
1 ½ Tbsp large capers
3 anchovy fillets
80 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 fresh long green chilli, chopped
2 handfuls parsley, leaves chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan-forced (220°C conventional). Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and oregano. Season. Cook until softened. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring regularly, for 30 minutes or until caramelised
- Meanwhile, put tapenade ingredients in a food processor. Blitz until a fine paste forms. Set aside.
- Roll pastry until 5–7mm thick. Cut in half to make 2 rectangles. Transfer to prepared tray. Roll edges to crimp into borders.
- Spoon onion mixture in a generous layer over pastry within border. Arrange anchovies on top. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until golden.
- Squeeze over lemon. Dollop tapenade, or make quenelles using 2 spoons. Serve warm or at room temp.