2.5 kg leg of lamb
salt and pepper, to taste
2 red onions, cut into thick wedges
1 large fennel bulb (500g), trimmed, cut into 2cm slices
2 cups chicken stock
⅓ cup lemon juice
fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp fresh thyme
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp whole fennel seeds
2 tsp mild paprika
- To make spice mix, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Place lamb in a large, oiled roasting pan. Rub evenly with spice mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 45 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Remove lamb. Drain excess fat from pan. Add onions, fennel, stock and juice to pan. Place lamb on top
- Reduce oven to moderate (180C). Cook lamb until medium done for a further 45 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer lamb to a serving plate. Rest, loosely covered with foil for 25 minutes. Thickly slice.
- Meanwhile, return roasting pan with fennel and onions to same moderate oven. Cook for a further 25 minutes, or until caramelised and pan juices are slightly thickened.
- Serve lamb with fennel and onions. Spoon over pan juices. Garnish with thyme sprigs