3.8 kg frozen turkey breast roast, thawed
25 g butter, melted
pomegranate cut into quarters
Pistachio and lemon butter
2 slices white sandwich bread, torn
1 cup fresh coriander
½ cup pistachio kernels
1 Tbsp Moroccan spice blend
125 g butter, chopped, room temperature
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Gravy (makes 3 cups)
3 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
¾ cup dry white wine
¼ cup jellied cranberry sauce
½ cup gravy powder
- To make butter, place bread, coriander, pistachios and seasoning in a food processor. Pulse to form a coarse paste. Add remaining ingredients. Process until combined
- Place the turkey on a clean board. Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Gently slide your fingers under the skin of each breast to form a pocket, without tearing the skin. Fill the pockets evenly with butter mixture. Secure closed with toothpicks.
- Place turkey upright in a greased, large, flame-proof roasting pan. Brush melted butter over the skin. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pan with greased foil.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 3 hours. Remove pan. Discard foil. Brush pan juices over turkey. Return uncovered to oven.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the breast. Transfer turkey to a large tray. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make gravy. Combine stock, wine and cranberry sauce in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until combined. Bring to boil. Whisking continuously, sprinkle over gravy powder. Return to boil. Gently boil for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until thickened. Season with pepper. Transfer to a heatproof jug.
- Just before serving, pour any resting juices from turkey into gravy. Microwave on high power in 30 second bursts, until hot. Transfer to a serving jug.
- Serve turkey with gravy. Garnish with pomegranate quarters and bay leaves.