250 g unsalted butter chopped
1 ½ cups caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs room temperature
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup buttermilk
2 ¼ cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ cup raspberry jam
toasted coconut flakes to decorate
Salted Jersey caramel frosting
1 ½ cups thickened cream
300 g jersey caramels chopped
2 tsp sea salt flakes
- Grease two 22cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In two batches, fold in coconut, buttermilk and combined sifted flour, baking powder and soda until combined. Divide evenly between prepared pans.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pans for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cook.
- To make frosting, combine cream and caramels in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Stir until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in salt. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
- Beat frosting with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one cake layer, cut-side up, on a serving plate. Spread with 2 tbsps of the jam, then 1/4 cup of the frosting. Repeat layering with remaining cakes, jam and frosting, finishing with a cake layer, cut-side down.
- Spread top and side of cake with remaining frosting. Decorate with coconut.