250 g macaroni
200 g short cut bacon rashers, chopped
¾ cup drained semi-dried tomatoes, halved
salt and pepper, to taste
200 g sourdough bread, torn into pieces
½ cup finely grated Parmesan
50 g butter, chopped
¼ cup plain flour
3 cups milk
1 ½ cups grated tasty cheese
100 g fresh baby spinach leaves
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain
- Meanwhile, heat an oiled, medium, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes, or until crisp. Remove. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- To make cheese sauce, melt butter in same clean, large saucepan over a medium heat until bubbling. Add flour. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Return to heat. Whisk until boiling and thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in half the cheese, then add spinach.
- Add pasta, bacon and tomatoes to sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Spoon into a large, ovenproof dish (10-cup capacity).
- Combine bread, parmesan and remaining cheese in a bowl. Sprinkle over top of pasta.
- Cook in a very hot oven (220°C) for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.