1 brown onion, finely chopped
250 g Swiss brown mushrooms, diced
425 g canned brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 large carrot, grated
1 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
Sesame olive oil pastry
2 ¾ cups wholemeal flour
1 pinch salt
¼ cup sesame seeds
⅓ cup olive oil
1 cup iced cold water
- Preheat oven 180°C (160°C fan forced). Lightly grease two flat baking trays. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook for 1 min, then add mushrooms and cook for a further 4-5 min, stirring often.
- Add the lentils and cook for a further 1 min. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Add the mustard, carrot, breadcrumbs and herbs. Mix with your hands until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take one portion of the pastry and roll into a piece about 20cm x 30cm. Cut pastry in half to give two strips 10cm wide. Take one third of the filling and shape into two sausage shapes. Place each one onto a pastry strip. Brush the edges with a little olive oil and fold the pastry over. Use a fork to seal the edges. Trim the ends and cut each roll into 5cm pieces. Transfer to the baking tray.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling to make more rolls. Place onto baking trays. Brush tops with a little extra olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 20-25 min or until golden brown. Serve with mixed salad leaves and a sauce of your choice.
- Place flour into a food processor, add a pinch of salt and sesame seeds. While running, slowly pour in olive oil, then water. Process until dough forms a ball. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Divide into three portions and set aside, loosely covered. Rest for 20 min.