2 kg medium chat potatoes, unpeeled
⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
sea salt flakes to season
12 cloves garlic, unpeeled, smashed
1 Tbsp finely chopped rosemary
1 Tbsp finely chopped thyme
10 g Parmesan, finely grated
1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan-forced (220°C conventional). Put potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water over a high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 8 minutes or until just tender
- Drain potatoes into a colander then transfer to a chopping board. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, pour oil into two 30 x 20cm oven trays. Put trays in oven for 3 minutes or until oil is very hot.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, use the back of an egg flip or the base of a heavy glass to squash potatoes
- Carefully transfer smashed potatoes to hot oil in trays. Season with salt and scatter with garlic, rosemary and thyme. Roast for 20 minutes. Turn then roast for a further 20 minutes
- Remove trays from oven and scatter parmesan over smashed potatoes. Return to oven for another 10 minutes or until potatoes are golden
- Meanwhile, to make herb oil, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Season
- Drizzle herb oil over smashed potatoes and serve immediately.