6 eggs at room temperature
1 ½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 ¼ cups self-raising flour
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
1 ½ cups finely chopped pecans
2 cups grated carrot (2 large carrots)
sugared pecans, to decorate
Cream cheese frosting
300 g package cream cheese, at room temperature
100 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups icing sugar mixture
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Grease two 22cm round x 7cm deep cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Beat eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer for about 5 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Fold in combined sifted flour, soda, mixed spice and ginger. Stir in pecans then carrot. Divide evenly between pans.
- Cook both pans in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, swapping pans halfway through cooking, until skewer inserted into centre of cakes comes out clean. Stand in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat cheese and butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating between additions, until thick. Beat in juice.
- To assemble, cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one half on a serving plate. Spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with another cake half. Repeat layering with frosting and remaining cake halves. Spread remaining frosting over top. Decorate with pecans.