Take shepherd's pie to the next level with a spicy Indian twist
1 kg lamb mince
2 onions, finely chopped
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1cm pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
⅓ cup vindaloo curry paste
400 g canned chopped Italian tomatoes
⅓ cup tomato sauce
⅔ cup water
1 cup grated tasty cheese
1 kg brushed potatoes, peeled, cut into 4cm pieces
½ cup hot milk
75 g butter, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly grease a large, deep, rectangular ovenproof dish (14-cup capacity).
- To make topping, place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to boil. Boil, uncovered, for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Return potatoes to pan. Cook, stirring over a low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash until smooth. Stir in milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat an oiled, large, deep frying pan over a high heat. Add lamb in two batches. Cook, stirring to break up mince for about 3 minutes, or until browned. Remove.
- Add onions to the same hot pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add eggplant and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Stir in paste.
- Return lamb to pan with tomatoes, sauce and water. Bring to boil. Cover with lid. Gently boil, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Spoon topping over lamb mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Place dish on an oven tray.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown. Remove. Stand for 15 minutes before serving