400 g canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
½ cup fresh parsley leaves
½ cup dried breadcrumbs
⅓ cup plain flour
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup vegetable oil
hummus, to serve
sliced cucumber, to serve
pita pockets, to serve
- Process chickpeas, onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add spinach, parsley, breadcrumbs, flour and cumin. Process until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add sesame seeds. Season. Mix well.
- Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Using damp hands, shape into round patties.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add patties in two batches. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden. Remove. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve warm or cold falafels with hummus, cucumber and pita pockets.