Roll up, roll up for these tasty treats and give your coffee or tea break a bit of crunch! The gorgeous pink hue really tops off a delicious little snack.
225 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
1 ⅓ cups icing sugar mixture
2 tsp strawberry essence
2 ½ cups plain flour
10 g packet freeze-dried strawberries, finely chopped
pink food colouring, to tint
- Beat butter, sugar and strawberry flavouring in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until combined. Transfer to a large bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add sifted flour. Beat on low speed until well combined. Add strawberries and a few drops of food colouring, and beat again until mixture is smooth.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured bench. Knead lightly until smooth. Divide in half. Shape each portion into a 16cm log (5cm thick). Wrap each log in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until firm.
- Line two large oven trays with baking paper. Remove plastic wrapping from logs. Trim ends. Cut into 1cm-thick slices and arrange on trays 3cm apart
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (150°C), swapping trays halfway through baking, for about 20 minutes, or until firm to touch. Remove from oven. Stand for 5 minutes on trays to cool.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.