Cooking with kids is fun with this funfetti cake – it's pretty in pink an covered in 100s and 1000s of rainbow sprinkles.
510 g vanilla cake mix
⅓ cup hundreds and thousands, plus extra to serve
1 tsp strawberry essence
pink food colouring, to tint
halved fresh strawberries, to decorate
- Grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above the pan edge.
- Prepare cake mix according to the packet directions. Stir in the hundreds and thousands. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top. Reserve frosting sachet.
- Cook cake in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using reserved frosting sachet, prepare according to packet directions. Add essence. Beat until combined. Tint pink with the food colouring.
- Spread frosting over the top and side of cake. Press extra hundreds and thousands around the side, then sprinkle over the top. Decorate with strawberries.