Try a cupcake that will really surprise guests! These pretty cupcakes are topped with cream and cubes of strawberry-flavoured jelly. Great at kids' parties.
125 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
½ cup milk
85 g packet strawberry-flavoured jelly crystals
¾ cup boiling water
⅔ cup cold water
300 ml tub thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Transfer to a large bowl. Add flour and milk in two batches. Stir until smooth. Spoon evenly into prepared cases.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove from oven.
- Dissolve jelly crystals in boiling water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in cold water.
- Pierce warm cupcakes all over with a skewer or toothpick. Slowly pour 1 tbsp jelly mixture over each cupcake. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Pour remaining jelly into a 20cm square cake pan lined with baking paper. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or until set.
- Beat cream and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Lift jelly from pan. Cut into 1cm cubes. Decorate cupcakes with cream and jelly.