These meaty little bites are ideal for party finger food. Wrapped in bacon and filled with sausage and onion flavour, they're perfect!
500 g Italian pork sausage
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme, plus thyme sprigs to garnish
6 medium red onions
12 streaky bacon rashers
¼ cup barbecue sauce
- Remove sausage meat from casings by trimming one end and squeezing out meat into a bowl. Discard casings. Add thyme and salt and pepper to sausage meat. Mix well. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions.
- Cut onions in half through the core end. Peel, leaving core intact. Trim rounded side of each half to sit flat.
- Spoon sausage mixture evenly onto cut side of onions. Wrap each in bacon. Place in a large roasting pan lined with baking paper. Brush with half the sauce.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 30 minutes. Remove. Brush with remaining sauce. Return to oven. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until onions are tender and sausage is cooked. Brush with any pan juices.
- Serve onions garnished with thyme springs.