1 ¾ cup self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
300 ml carton pure cream
3 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup vegetable oil
300 ml thickened cream, whipped
fresh raspberries, to decorate
100 g unsalted butter, chopped
300 g dark chocolate, chopped
- Lightly grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking and cocoa powder into a large bowl of an electric mixer. Add sugar, cream, eggs and oil. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, or until just combined. Increase speed and beat on medium for a further 1½ minutes until thick. Divide evenly between cake pans.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To make icing, stir butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl, sitting over a saucepan of simmering water, until melted and smooth. Stand at room temperature to cool and thicken.
- To assemble, trim tops of cakes to sit flat. Place one cake, upside down, on a serving plate. Spread with whipped cream. Top with remaining cake upside down. Spread with icing. Decorate with berries.