125 g unsalted butter, chopped
1 cup water
1 cup caster sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup white marshmallows (100 g)
100 g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
⅓ cup pure cream
- Lightly grease a 22cm round springform pan (base measures 20cm). Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 4cm above pan edge.
- Place butter, water, sugar, and combined sifted cocoa and soda in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Bring to boil.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Cool slightly. Add eggs and flour. Whisk until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove pan from oven.
- Place marshmallows in a single layer over top of cake, leaving a 2cm border around edge. Return pan to hot oven. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until marshmallows are lightly golden. Remove pan. Stand cake for 10 minutes. Remove side from pan. Slide cake onto a serving board.
- Meanwhile, make sauce. Place chocolate and cream in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- Serve cake warm or cold with warm sauce.